Saturday 27 October 2012

Highstreet Haul Part 1

Supermarket Sweep

So I didn't actually get these from the supermarket, I got them from Boots and Superdrug, but I'm pretty sure Tesco stocks them! Anyhoo I'm a sucker for alliteration and you get the gist.

With my non existent funds ever decreasing I'm finding myself turning more and more to the high street for my makeup. Shock horror for me I know. Whilst I'm still not convinced the high street can serve my skincare or foundation needs I am willing to try out some other goodies.


First Up

Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer £5.99: I have my heart set on By Terry Touche Veloutee, but the £35 price tag is deterring me slightly. I am one of those people who always looks tired, even if i had 12 hours sleep I am still going to have bags under my eyes. And I really need to stop going to my internship looking like I haven't slept for days. The Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation has had such rave reviews I thought I'd give the concealer a try. 


They Say: Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer is our first full coverage concealer that visibly reawakens and illuminates under the eyes. Completely conceals spots and other blemishes. Instant anti-fatigue effect. With Peptides and a Vitamin Moisturising complex







No concealer on the Left, Concealer on the Right

I Say: This isn't a miracle product by any means, but that is not to say I am not rather enjoying it.

 The applicator is a small angled sponge wand. I have been using this to blop the concealer under my eyes and using my fingers to blend out. I find it easier to work with like this as you can really press the product into your skin.

The formula is quite watery, it is not thick and creamy, but this does mean you can build it up for extra coverage quite easily. I wouldn't say it aced the covering up dark circles exam, for the time being I will carry on using my Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge for that, but I will use this on top. In terms of lifting the eye area and leaving you with the bright eyed bushy tail look it is top of the class. Often matte concealers can be too heavy around the eye, settling into the fine lines and looking cakey. I use this concealer in a triangle shape under my eyes so I can illuminate a significant section of my face. I won't be using this to concealer blemishes as I don't think it's pigmented enough, at least not for me, but if you want to get up and glow in the morning give it a try!

Note: The colour range of these products is limited to say the least. I got mine in Soft Beige but without a trained sales assistant to help colour match it was literally guessing blind!

Rimmel Wake Me Up Instant Radiance Shimmer Touch £3.99: After I saw these reviewed on one of my favourite beauty blogs, Liana Beauty, I just had to go out and buy them.


They Say: Give an instant boost of shimmering radiance. The lightweight mousse formula is ultra-blendable and gives a long-lasting, natural-looking flush of colour.

On the Rimmel website there seems to be 5 shades available, but these were the only two I found in Boots and Superdrug.

Shimmering Sand:


Shimmering Sand is nude champagne colour. I used this one as a highlighter, along my cheekbones, the centre of my nose, and my cupids bow.


Radiant Rose: 


Radiant Rose is a light pastel pink shade. I used it as a blush on the apples of my cheeks, blending with my Real Techniques Stippling Brush.


The swatches on my hand look VERY glittery but some reason that amount of glitter doesn't transfer to your face. Which is a good thing. The product is quite thick and creamy, my Nars Illuminator feels very watery in comparison. It was very easy to blend and a little goes a long way. The Radiant Rose is more pigmented but both give a good colour payoff. For a more intense colour Radiant Rose could be used underneath or on top of a pink powder blush. 

The staying power isn't the longest but for the price tag I'm happy to reapply throughout the day! I have very oily skin and the shimmer makes me look healthy, not shiny, so I'd say these could be used on all skin types!

I think these are great little products to add a touch a radiance to winter skin and very user friendly! Furthermore they do exactly what they say on the tin!

Have you used any Rimmel product before? What do you think of them? What are your best high street beauty buys?



No comments:

Post a Comment